On the Mend Again

It has been three days since my surgery (again!) and I'm feeling good. I took my last pain medicine yesterday (Tylenol + Aleve) and am feeling pain-free this morning. 

Everything about my experience at the hospital was similar to last time, minus the long wait and watching the live feed from Westminster Hall. My surgeon was joined by a surgical fellow this time. While in the waiting room, I noticed that my fingernails matched my hospital gown. Fancy, eh?


The only big difference in my recovery from this second surgery is that I have a drain this time. The drain helps to remove fluid that builds up after surgery. It is a very simple gadget.


I know some people don't like the thought of blood and other bodily fluids, so skip this paragraph if that's you. It's natural for the body to send extra blood and fluid to an area that has been damaged, and in my armpit where the lymph nodes were removed my body has lost some of its ability to keep those fluids moving. After having so much swelling last time I am grateful for the existence of drains, even though it is a little gross. The small tube is attached inside my armpit incision and fluid slowly moves through the tube into the bulb. Right after surgery the fluid has more blood in it, but each day it is looking more and more clear. Every few hours I empty the bulb and record the volume of fluid. Suction keeps the fluid moving. When I empty the drain I squeeze the bulb part before I close the stopper to create a bit of suction. I get to have the drain removed when the total volume is less than 30 mL in 24 hours. I'm really hoping that this will be sooner than later!

It has come to my attention that October is breast cancer awareness month. I can speak for many breast cancer patients and survivors when I say that breast cancer doesn't really need its own month. There are many other cancers with less visibility and less funding than breast cancer and it definitely feels weird to me that we place more attention on one type of cancer than another. Many 'pink' products are marketed to people and may not do anything to help patient outcomes. I know I am currently benefitting from many years of breast cancer advocacy and research. It may sound weird for me to say, but maybe consider giving your time, attention, or money to one of the many diseases we know less about. My friend Fiona lives with a very rare type of sarcoma called Epithelioid Hemangioendothelioma (or EHE for short). Very little is known about her disease and she is a tireless advocate for others like her. You can read her story here. This is just one of the multitude of cancers that doesn't get the same attention as breast cancer. So, if you ever feel the urge to donate any money on my behalf, please consider choosing an organization that funds research for one of the lesser-known diseases out there.

Fiona's Story (Sarcoma Cancer Foundation website). 

Comments

  1. Glad there's a solution for those missing nodes My mom could have used this last year...
    I hope you are feeling comfortable and safely cocooned on the cool mornings. A virtual hug to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lymph nodes are a very real deal. I'm glad you're draining regularly and I wish you a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I've Got Cancer

Spring is Here

Ask Me Why I Love My Job