Spring is Here


Suddenly, it is spring! The ice on Kempenfelt Bay will likely disappear today or tomorrow and it is T-shirt weather this week. We will return to more seasonal temperatures next week, but it's great to see everyone out in the sunshine enjoying this stretch of 20°C-ish weather while it lasts.

After writing my last post about impatience, I spent a lovely couple of hours in the chemo suite the day after my missed appointment. I say 'lovely' because all of the angst I was holding on to about the missed oncologist appointment melted away. I got my Zoladex injection and had my immunotherapy treatment and felt very well cared for. I can't say enough about how fantastic my care has been, and this was a good reminder that the long waits I've experienced lately are just blips.

This afternoon I will see my surgeon for my 6 month follow-up. I will speak with her about upcoming scans and monitoring, and find out when I can have surgery to match my left breast to my right. I have thought about this on and off; I could easily be happy without additional surgery. I rarely notice my lopsidedness as I live in camisoles and sports bras, but I have decided that it would be nice to be able to fit easily into regular bras and so I will inquire about my options.

Tomorrow I have my next oncology appointment in advance of my immunotherapy treatment on Thursday. I have cleared my afternoon calendar tomorrow so that I can wait as long as I need to. :) I'm hoping my bloodwork is better this round after my reduced dose of immunotherapy last time. 

This past weekend we celebrated Easter with the extended family for the first time in FIVE YEARS. In 2019, we were on our trip and celebrated Easter in the Grand Canyon. The following year we were all on lockdown at home. In 2021 we did a drive-by Good Friday visit with our Niagara family. Last year I had just had my first chemo treatment. What a treat to be all together again, especially in this beautiful weather.

We always love going to Niagara for Easter to get an early taste of spring. They are always at least a couple of weeks ahead of us in terms of seasonal change and the grass seemed impossibly green. We had a lovely hike on Friday with Rick's parents at Port Weller. On Saturday the cousins enjoyed an outdoor Easter egg hunt, and on Sunday we had a long walk in the sunshine with the whole Jones clan.

Never too old for an Easter egg hunt.

Cousins.

End of the line at the Port Weller spit.

The last couple of weeks have been very busy for me with Science Fair. We were all feeling a bit nervous as we hadn't had an in-person fair since 2019, but everything went smoothly in the end. In the week leading up to the fair it felt like a full-time job for me. It was really nice to have some meaningful work to do and to see so many students enjoy the 2-day event. We had recruited many new volunteers this year and it is great to see the committee growing. We are now working with the 7 students who will represent our county at the national fair in Edmonton next month. 

I have been grateful for the extra time I have to get things organized for next year's fair. Usually when the fair ends I have school work to catch up on and don't really have time to reflect on the event and tie up loose ends. It made me realize that I will probably be able to enjoy this kind of volunteer job more when I am retired! :)

Me on stage at the awards ceremony!

Fair in full swing.





Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I've Got Cancer

Setback

Ask Me Why I Love My Job